Campervan goes up in flames but quick thinking passer-by saves the day

The efforts of a Good Samaritan saved a couple from losing their lives and possessions as their campervan went up in flames on their own driveway.

Lester and Gerri Hall were preparing for bed earlier this week when they heard a frantic ringing of their front door bell. It was 9.30pm and Bobbi Jo Herman was just going past the Halls’ house when she saw flames in the drive. It turned out to be the Halls’ campervan igniting and the quick thinking passer-by sprung into action.

First of all she pulled gas canisters fastened to the campervan out of way and then turned her attention to the Halls’ house. She takes up the story: “I saw the fire, and it just looked like it was not a controlled fire. I thought for sure I would see fire trucks when I got around the corner but there were none. I just ran up, and I’m sure I scared them to death. They were getting ready for bed, and I just told them to get out of the house and call 9-1-1, get out of the house and call 9-1-1. They were looking at me like I was crazy.”

Mr Hall dashed out of the home and tried to get the fire under control using his garden hose but smoke inhalation forced him to withdraw. Fortunately fire-fighters arrived just as the flames were lapping at the Halls’ house and garage, they took control of the situation and managed to quell the flames before they took hold of the house. Now Mr Hall has to contact his motorhome insurance company to make a claim and wait for the fire-fighters to find the cause of the conflagration. In the meantime he could not praise Miss Herman enough saying: “I just thank God that girl showed up. She’s the one that saved our lives because we would have been in bed by 10 o’clock, and I would have lost everything, everything I worked so hard for.”