Temporary motorhome insurance: A renter’s guide
Does your idea of a dream holiday involve taking to the open roads and exploring what’s out there? Whether that’s here in the UK or overseas, there are no end of adventures awaiting you and your loved ones, and plenty of memories to be made.
A campervan offers you the perfect chance to do just that and these homes away from home are a source of familiar comfort to thousands up and down the country. But what about those who recognise the lure of the lifestyle but don’t have a vehicle to call their own? At Comfort Insurance, we understand that predicament and that’s why we’re proud to offer Discover temporary motorhome insurance.
Maybe you know a friend, colleague or family member who is willing to lend you their motorhome for a short period, or perhaps you’ve seen your dream holiday campervan on a rental site? If you want to borrow or rent a campervan, you’ll need to feel fully protected when out on the road and that’s where temporary campervan insurance can help. Before you get behind the wheel of someone else’s pride and joy, read on to find out everything you need to know about this special policy.
Comfort Insurance Reviews & Testimonials
We pride ourselves on providing great cover and friendly customer service, that’s why Trustpilot rate us as ‘Excellent’ with a TrustScore of 4.9 based on over 4,500 reviews.
Click here to find out what our customers are saying about us.
How does temporary motorhome insurance work?
Our motorhome hire insurance is a fully comprehensive policy that is valid for 3-30 days, to be taken out when you rent or borrow a motorhome from someone else. Please be aware that the owner of the campervan must have an existing annual policy in order for you to be eligible for this short-term cover.
What is covered by temporary campervan insurance?
When you borrow or hire a vehicle, a short-term motorhome hire insurance policy will cover you in the UK and Europe for:
- Accidental damage, fire and theft
- Entering the wrong fuel (£1,500 excess will apply)
- Damage to other people’s property, third-party injury and death whilst hirer or additional drivers are using someone else's motorhome or campervan
- Vehicle recovery if the renter is taken seriously ill and is unable to drive the campervan
For a comprehensive list of what is covered by our campervan hire insurance, please see the policy wording.
What’s not covered by temporary motorhome insurance?
There are some important exclusions to be aware of when you take out temporary campervan insurance. For example, you will not be covered for:
- Any accident, injury loss or damage that happens when the campervan is being driven by someone not permitted to drive it, or by someone without a valid driving licence.
- Damage caused by wear and tear or electrical and mechanical breakdown.
- Loss or damage if the vehicle is left unattended with the ignition keys, or while the engine is running.
- Your personal effects (such as mobile phones) as well as those of any additional drivers.
For a full list of our campervan hire insurance exclusions, please see the policy wording.
What are the benefits of campervan hire insurance?
If you’re yearning to hit the open road but don’t have a vehicle of your own, hiring one can provide the perfect alternative. And a temporary motorhome insurance policy has a number of benefits:
- It’s a fully comprehensive form of cover, so you can get behind the wheel safe in the knowledge that you’re well protected.
- It’s really quick and easy to arrange - All you need before you get in touch with us is the owner’s annual policy number, and we’ll be on hand to help you work out the rest.
- Our Discover temporary campervan insurance starts from just £20 a day.
- You will be covered for trips in Europe as well as in the UK.
- It means you can enjoy motorhome travel without having to purchase your own vehicle.
Checking your eligibility for temporary motorhome insurance
Below are some of the main criteria you need to meet to be able to take out short-term campervan hire insurance with us:
- The owner already has an annual policy.
- You are aged between 25 and 75.
- You have held a full UK, EU or international driving licence for at least 12 months.
- The vehicle you are hiring is valued at under £100,000 and is less than 10 years old.
- Your journey starts and ends in the UK.
- There are no more than three drivers on the policy.
For a full list of eligibility criteria, please see our comprehensive guide to temporary motorhome insurance.
How much does temporary campervan insurance cost?
Our Discover campervan hire insurance policy starts from as little as £20 per day, with a minimum of three days’ cover. However, your premium is likely to vary based on a number of things, for example the make and model of the motorhome you are borrowing.
How to take out your motorhome hire insurance
One of the upsides of our temporary motorhome insurance is that it’s perfectly simple to set up. To get started, all you need to do is ask the owner for the vehicle details and policy number of their annual motorhome cover and then phone us on 0208 9840 666. Once you’ve provided us with a few details about yourself and any additional drivers and paid the premium, we’ll be able to issue your policy.
Please note, however, that temporary campervan insurance must be arranged at least 48 hours before the policy is due to begin.
What do I need to do when I collect and return the hired motorhome?
You’ll need to arrange your Discover temporary hire insurance cover at least 48 hours before commencement of the hire of the motorhome.
On the day of the hire, both you and the motorhome owner will need to complete and sign a handover document. You’ll also both need to photograph, or better still, video the pre-hire condition of the motorhome. Once you’ve completed these simple tasks, you’re ready to hit the road.
Upon return of the motorhome to the owner, you and the owner will both need to update and sign the handover document and record the condition of the vehicle, either with photographs or video.
Watch our handy video below which explains how the handover process works:
How to claim on your campervan hire insurance
Our Discover short-term motorhome hire insurance is underwritten by Aviva, whom you should call on 0800 028 0038 if you need to make a claim.
Why come to us for your temporary motorhome insurance
Here are just a handful of reasons why you can trust us to look after you when it comes to motorhome hire insurance:
- With more than 30 years in the industry, nobody understands motorhomes and their drivers like we do.
- Our temporary campervan insurance is underwritten by Aviva, one of the largest insurers in the country, so you know you’re in good hands.
- We were recognised as the What Motorhome Insurance Provider of the Year for 10 out of 11 years.
- Offering high-quality service is key to what we do and we have thousands of positive reviews from customers on Trustpilot to prove it.
- Aviva has stated that 98.97% of claims were paid out*, so there’s a good chance that yours would be too.
*As of 17th October 2023
Get in touch about temporary campervan insurance today
Even if you don’t have a campervan of your own, that shouldn’t stop you getting out and exploring the open roads. So, if you hire or borrow a campervan, our temporary motorhome insurance cover can help you take the wheel safe in the knowledge that you’re fully protected.
It’s perfectly easy to get a quote by calling us on 0208 9840 666 and a member of our friendly team will be on hand to help you with whatever you need.