Temporary Motorhome & Campervan Insurance
There are few greater feelings than hitting the open road, exploring your surroundings and enjoying that sense of freedom. And there’s no finer vehicle to do that in than a motorhome – here at Comfort Insurance, no one understands that better than we do.
Every year, thousands of campervan owners get behind the wheel and set out on a new adventure – and we take great pleasure in ensuring their pride and joy is well protected thanks to our superb insurance policies. And data from the National Caravan Council reveals that leisure vehicle registrations in the UK have risen by more than 300% since the turn of the century – a sure sign that motorhome ownership is becoming increasingly popular.
But what about those who love the campervanning lifestyle but don’t have a vehicle of their own? Well, we’ve listened carefully to our customers’ needs and that’s where our Discover motorhome hire insurance can help.
If you want to borrow a motorhome for a short period, perhaps from a friend or family member, a temporary campervan insurance policy will ensure both you and the owner remain fully protected. That way, everyone benefits from that priceless peace of mind and you get to experience all the joys of the open road.
Read on to find out more about temporary motorhome insurance, how it works, what it covers, how much it costs, and how easy it is to organise with us.
What is campervan hire insurance?
Our Discover temporary motorhome insurance is underwritten by Aviva and allows anyone hiring or borrowing a motorhome to be protected by a fully comprehensive policy for a period of 3-30 days. The owner must have an existing annual policy with Comfort Insurance in order for the renter to be eligible to take out a short-term policy.
During the period of hire time, the owner’s standard policy will not be affected – even if something were to happen to their campervan while it was being hired. So, there are no concerns for the owner about losing their no-claims bonus and the renter can take to the road knowing they are fully insured – it’s win-win!
What does short-term motorhome hire insurance cover?
A temporary campervan insurance policy covers the renter for:
- Accidental damage to the motorhome
- Entering the wrong fuel type, although an excess of £1,500 will apply
- Damage to other people’s property and any compensation you must pay for other people’s death or injury, if you’re at fault for an accident
- A refund of your excess if you’re hit by an uninsured driver and it wasn’t your fault
- Any ancillary equipment e.g. awnings and camping equipment lost, damaged or stolen as a result of accident, fire or theft to the campervan. This is up to a value of £5,000 (£2,500 if the motorhome’s value is less than £15,000)
- Motor legal expenses up to £100,000 for the pursuit of damages and £20,000 for motoring prosecutions
- Vehicle recovery in the event that the renter is taken seriously ill and is unable to drive the motorhome
For a full list of what is covered by our campervan hire insurance, please see the policy wording.
What are the exclusions on temporary campervan insurance?
As with any policy, there are some things which are not covered by our motorhome hire insurance. For example:
- Any accident, injury, loss or damage that occurs when the vehicle is being used for a purpose not described on the certificate of motor insurance
- Any accident, injury, loss or damage that occurs when the vehicle is being driven by somebody not permitted to drive it, or by someone without a valid driving licence
- Loss or damage if the motorhome has been left with the ignition keys or left unattended with the engine running
- Damage caused by wear and tear or electrical and mechanical breakdown
- The carriage of goods or passengers for hire or reward
- Personal effects, such as mobile phones, belonging to the renter or any additional drivers
For a full list of the exclusions on our temporary motorhome insurance, please see the policy wording.
What are the benefits of motorhome hire insurance?
The advantages of a short-term campervan hire insurance policy are vast and varied, for both owners and renters.
The benefits of temporary motorhome insurance for renters
- You will be covered by a fully comprehensive policy, for that added peace of mind
- It’s easy to organise – all you need is the owner’s policy number from their annual cover before you contact us
- We can offer cost-effective premiums starting from just £20 per day
- The policy covers European travel as well as UK
- It offers a cheaper alternative than purchasing your own campervan…….opportunity to ‘try before you buy’
The benefits of temporary motorhome insurance for owners
- Any claims made under the Discover policy are separate to the owner’s annual policy and will not affect your no-claims bonus
- Peace of mind that damage to your motorhome is covered even when it is being used by someone else
- No need for you to get in touch with us about renting out your motorhome
- You can make a little extra money by hiring out your campervan for short periods when it would otherwise not be in use.
How to check if you’re eligible for campervan hire insurance
There are a few criteria you must meet in order to take out our Discover temporary motorhome insurance. You will be deemed eligible if:
- The owner has an annual policy already in place with Comfort Insurance
- You are aged between 25 and 75
- You have held a full UK, EU or international driving licence for at least a year
- You have been involved in less than three accidents in the last three years
- You have no more than two fault claims and/or two theft claims in the last three years
- You have no disqualifications exceeding six months in the last three years, and none exceeding three months in the last year
- The vehicle you wish to hire is less than 10 years old and is valued at under £100,000
- Your journey is both starting and ending in the UK
- You are hiring the vehicle for a period of between 3-30 days
- You are including no more than three named drivers on the policy
How much does short-term campervan hire insurance cost?
Our Discover temporary motorhome insurance starts from just £20 per day, subject to a minimum of three days cover. However, the overall cost will vary depending on a number of a factors, such as the make and model of the vehicle.
How to take out your temporary motorhome insurance
Taking out campervan hire insurance with Comfort is beautifully simple:
- First, you need the owner to pass on the policy number of the annual cover they already have in place with us to you
- Phone us on 0208 9840 666 and relay that policy number to us. It will provide us with details of the vehicle you wish to hire
- Provide us with your details as well as those of any additional drivers you wish to add (a maximum of three named drivers on any motorhome hire insurance policy) and pay the premium
- On the day that the policy starts, you and the owner will complete a vehicle handover document, which records the condition of the vehicle. Both parties must sign this document.
- Before the expiry of the policy, return the vehicle to the owner. The handover document will be updated and signed by both parties.
Please note that temporary motorhome insurance cover must be arranged with us at least 48 hours before the hire is due to start.
How to claim on your temporary campervan insurance
Should you need to claim on your motorhome hire insurance, please call Aviva as soon as possible on 0800 028 0038. Remember, any claims made on our Discover policy will not affect the no-claims discount of the owner’s annual cover with us.
Why choose us for your campervan hire insurance
There are many reasons why you can rely on us when it comes to sourcing your temporary motorhome insurance cover. Here are just a few of them:
- We have more than 30 years’ experience in the industry, so you can rest assured we know our stuff.
- We were named What Motorhome Insurance Provider of the Year for 10 out of 11 years, so our reputation precedes us.
- Nobody understands motorhome owners and renters better than we do. We can offer tailored campervan hire insurance policies that perfectly suit your needs.
- Providing stellar customer service is a key part of our philosophy, and that is reflected in our rating of ‘Excellent’ from reviews on Trustpilot.
- What’s more, 99.6% of people say they would recommend us*.
- Our temporary campervan insurance policies are underwritten by Aviva, one of the UK’s leading motor insurers, so you can rest assured you’re in good hands.
- And Aviva has stated that 99.6% of claims were paid out*, so it’s likely that yours will be too.
*As of 17th July 2018.
Get in touch about temporary motorhome insurance today
We know how good it feels to get out on the open road, and we want as many people as possible to enjoy that sensation – even if they don’t own a motorhome. That’s why we’ve created Discover temporary campervan insurance.
You can or give us a call on 0208 9840 666 – a member of our friendly, expert team will be only too happy to talk to you and help you secure that all-important peace of mind.
Temporary campervan insurance FAQs
We understand that you might still have queries about our Discover short-term motorhome hire insurance. With that in mind, we’ve put together this list of some of the other most frequently asked questions.
How would a claim on campervan hire insurance affect the renter’s own motor policy?
The renter would need to inform their insurance provider when taking out or renewing their own motor insurance policy. Any claims made could cause the premium to increase in price.
What excess does the renter have to pay?
Excesses of £1,500 for theft, loss or damage to the vehicle and £75 for damage to the windscreen are payable on a temporary motorhome insurance policy.
Are there any mileage restrictions?
For the renter, there are no mileage restrictions on our campervan hire insurance, but policies are only valid for a period of between 3-30 days.
What happens if the vehicle breaks down?
Are spare parts covered in the event of a breakdown?
Does the owner receive any money for hiring out their campervan?
That is entirely up to the owner. Anything they charge the renter is down to an agreement between the two parties and has nothing to do with us or the Discover temporary motorhome insurance policy.
Is there a limit to how many times an owner can rent out their motorhome?
No, although each individual Discover policy is only valid for between 3-30 days.