Keeping Your Motorhome or Campervan Safe during a Snow and Ice Weather Warning
The following advice has been given to help keep yourself and your vehicle safe in this potentially dangerous weather. If you can avoid driving during this weather warning we advise you to do so, and only travel if necessary.
• As a good rule of thumb, it is always practical to keep de-icer and a scraper on hand but it is essential during icy and snowy weather.
• Clear your windscreen of any ice or snow.
• Clear any snow from the top of your vehicle; you don’t want it falling on to your windscreen and restrict your vision whilst driving.
• If possible, stick to main roads as they are far more likely to be gritted and salted.
• During icy and snowy weather conditions braking distances can be up to 10 times! To ensure your safety, maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and the one in front.
Advice from the Met Office for driving in the Snow
• Accelerate gently, using low revs. You may need to take off in second gear to avoid skidding.
• Try not to brake suddenly – it may lock up your wheels and you could skid further.
• Be extra cautious at road junctions where road markings may not be visible.
Advice if you are staying in your vehicle
If you are staying in your Motorhome or Campervan during this weather, it’s important for your health to try and maintain a temperature of at least 18°C.
Ways of keeping yourself and your vehicle warm:
• Thermal Windscreen Covers
• Winter storage heaters
• Frost covers for windscreen and cab windows.
• Curtains separating the cab area at the front of your vehicle and the living area
• High tog bedding and thick blankets
• Warm thermal clothing
Get cover for your Motorhome or Campervan
Share this article
We’re a family run business with over 30 years' experience in the provision of specialist motorhome and campervan insurance. With a wealth of awards under our belt, we pride ourselves on providing a friendly and professional service, offering you the most comprehensive cover money can buy - starting from just £220!
We’re a family run business with over 30 years' experience in the provision of specialist motorhome and campervan insurance. With a wealth of awards under our belt, we pride ourselves on providing a friendly and professional service, offering you the most comprehensive cover money can buy - starting from just £200!