Motorhome under the stars

What Motorhome Owners Need to Know About New Tax Rates

The UK Government has begun rolling out new tax rates for certain vehicles – including motorhomes.

Vehicles that produce a higher amount of CO2 are to be charged more than those which are considered environmentally friendly.

Whilst ‘greener’ automobiles will benefit from relaxed rates.

Do these new tax rate affect my motorhome?

The answer here is probably not.

Only vehicles that were registered at the DVLA from April 1st 2017 are liable to pay these new tax rates.

So basically, unless you’ve just bought a brand new motorhome or are planning on buying one, then you will continue to pay the same rate. In addition, it’s also worth pointing out that not all motorhomes are taxed this way.

They’re only included in this if they meet the following requirements:

  • It is in the M1SP category
  • Its CO2 emissions are on the ‘type approval certificate’

What are the new rates?

If these rates do affect you, then here’s what you need to know:

The price you will pay on your first year of tax depends on the vehicle’s CO2 emissions.

CO2 emissions (g/km) Petrol (TC48) and diesel cars (TC49) Alternative fuel cars (TC59)
0 £0 £0
1 – 50 £10 £0
51 – 75 £25 £15
76 – 90 £100 £90
91 – 100 £120 £110
101 – 110 £140 £130
111 – 130 £160 £150
131 – 150 £200 £190
151 – 170 £500 £490
171 – 190 £800 £790
191 – 225 £1,200 £1,190
226 – 255 £1,700 £1,690
Over 255 £2,000 £1,990


And for the second year (and every year after that), it depends on the type of vehicle.

Type of Vehicle Amount Taxed
Petrol or Diesel £140
Alternative Fuel £130
Zero CO2 Emissions £0


Additional Costs for More Expensive Vehicles

Things get a little more expensive if the list price of your new vehicle (the RRP before any special offers or discounts) is more than £40,000.

After the initial year of paying tax based on CO2 emissions, you will be required to pay the ‘type of vehicle tax’ and an additional £310 per year for the next five years.

When those five years are up, you go back to just paying the standard rate (£140, £130, or £0, depending on vehicle type).

If you have any questions, or aren’t quite sure what you should be paying, then you can visit the Government’s official page for more information.

Share this article