A good policy to check the paperwork
It’s an exciting moment. You’ve renewed your motorhome insurance and the policy documents have arrived. You just can’t wait to sit down with a hot cuppa to pore over the juicy details.
If that sounds a familiar scenario, you are probably one in a thousand. Most people, including many in the insurance industry, will at most take a cursory glance at the paperwork before filing it away in a safe place. We all know we should check the small print but few of us make it a priority.
That isn’t usually a problem, until a claim happens. This is often the first time that policyholders get a clear picture of what they have spent their money on. Is it covered? Are there restrictions or exclusions that might have an impact on the claim? It happens, unfortunately, and many of the pitfalls could be avoided.
Apart from the premium matching the one that was quoted, there are key aspects of a motor home policy every buyer should be aware of. The priority check points are:
- Are the details correct? Names, addresses, registration numbers and details about the vehicle itself and any additional drivers. Any errors can trigger an unwelcome letter if the Motor Insurance Database (MID) does not match up with your details.
- What is the policy excess? In the event of a claim, this is how much the policyholder has to pay. Additional excesses may apply for young or experienced drivers.
- Is there a windscreen excess or any upper limits on windscreen claims?
- Is breakdown cover included? If so, does it include home start or European breakdowns?
- Are their limits on European use? These can take the form of single trip limits or an overall number of days permitted.
- If you have a limited mileage policy, is the limit adequate or does it need to be revised.
This list covers the basics that should help avoid some of the more common shocks later but in no way be seen as exhaustive. Policy documents attempt to strike a balance between highlighting the main points while not bamboozling with legal jargon.
We would encourage insurance buyers to always spend a few minutes looking through to check out the features, benefits and exclusions. The better understood, the less chance there is of getting a nasty surprise when you most want a policy to do its job – to pay out in the event of a loss.
Share this article
We’re a family run business with over 30 years' experience in the provision of specialist motorhome and campervan insurance. With a wealth of awards under our belt, we pride ourselves on providing a friendly and professional service, offering you the most comprehensive cover money can buy - starting from just £220!
We’re a family run business with over 30 years' experience in the provision of specialist motorhome and campervan insurance. With a wealth of awards under our belt, we pride ourselves on providing a friendly and professional service, offering you the most comprehensive cover money can buy - starting from just £200!