How Much is Campervan Insurance?
Insurance can often be a tug of war between cost and cover but getting the insurance you need doesn’t mean having to spend a small fortune. So, when it comes to covering your campervan, it really pays to know which factors affect your premium and what you can do to help lower the cost.
What does campervan insurance cover?
What’s included in your policy, will depend on the type of cover you choose. For example, third party, fire and theft compensates other people for damage or injury you’ve caused. These policies will also compensate you if your campervan is damaged or destroyed by fire or theft.
It’s vital to know that third party, fire and theft policies don’t cover the cost of repairing or replacing your campervan or any of the fixtures and fittings in the event of an accident. Alternatively, comprehensive insurance covers third party, fire and theft and will also pay to fix or replace your campervan.
While it’s important to protect the nuts and bolts of your camper, it’s also worth remembering all the little things that make your campervan a home from home. With that in mind, opting for a more comprehensive policy can often prove great value for money as some will also insure essentials such as your personal belongings, awnings, and generator.
In many cases, you’ll also be able to add other features to your insurance package if it’s not already included – for example, breakdown cover.
Whatever policy and features you choose it’s crucial to check the terms and conditions set out rather than make assumptions about what is or isn’t covered – because discovering you’re not protected is the last thing you need after an incident.
How much is campervan insurance?
Premiums could start from as low as £200* but campervan insurance costs vary depending on the type of cover you choose, what extras you add on, as well as your own personal circumstances.
Factors that can influence how much you pay for campervan insurance, include:
- Your age – younger drivers are more likely to attract higher premiums compared to those with more experience behind the wheel.
- Where you park your camper in-between trips – if you’ve got somewhere secure to keep your campervan, you are more likely to be rewarded with lower premiums. A locked garage is ideal but a private driveway is another good option. Some insurers may not be able to offer insurance if you park your motorhome on the road, so bear this in mind.
- Your driving history – to enjoy the best premiums, you’ll need a clean driving record with no recent driving convictions or endorsements (points).
- Your claims history – previously claiming on your insurance can increase the price of your premium.
- How long you’ve been driving a campervan for – the longer you’ve been driving a campervan without making any claims, the better your premium is likely to be.
- Insurance premium tax (IPT) – this is a tax which applies to almost all insurance premiums and it’s currently charged at 12%. IPT is usually already included in the total cost of your premium so it’s unlikely you’ll need to work it out yourself but it’s useful to know how it affects what you pay. As it’s a percentage, you’ll pay more the higher your premium is. For example, if your premium was £210, the IPT would be £25.20, making your total policy cost £235.20. Whereas if your policy cost £200, the IPT would be £24 making the total cost marginally cheaper at £224.
Does the type of campervan I have affect how much I pay for cover?
In short, yes – the type of campervan you have, can significantly affect how much you pay for cover. As a general rule, the more expensive your campervan and the more equipment you have on board, the more expensive it’s likely to be to repair or replace – which is reflected in your premium.
Similarly, campervans that are unusual or unconventional (for instance if they’ve been heavily modified, imported or self-built) may cost more to insure simply because of their unique nature.
What exclusions do I need to know about?
An exclusion is an event that your policy doesn’t cover. Almost all policies will have a set of exclusions but they can vary by the insurer so it’s always a good idea to familiarise yourself with any terms and conditions set out to avoid disappointment.
Common exclusions can include:
- Loss caused by you – for example, you’re unlikely to be covered if your campervan is stolen because you left the keys in the ignition or you left the door open and the engine running.
- Punctures to tyres or damage caused by sudden braking.
- Damage caused by pets or vermin.
- Wear and tear – policies won’t cover you for damage that occurs naturally through time.
Do I really need campervan insurance?
Yes, all vehicles on UK roads need to be insured by law. Anyone caught without insurance could face a hefty fine or even be disqualified from driving so it’s crucial to have a policy in place. The only exception is if you have arranged a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) for your campervan.
Tips for reducing the cost of campervan insurance
Few of us want to spend more than we have to on insurance but there are ways to save money without compromising on the cover – for example:
- If you can, pay for your policy in one go rather than in instalments. Paying monthly often works out more expensive as interest charges sometimes apply.
- Try to be as accurate as possible when it comes to estimating your annual mileage. The more miles you do, the greater the chance of an accident which could result in a claim so rounding up can increase your premium unnecessarily. You could also try limiting the number of miles you do.
- Build up your no claims discount. You might get a reduction in your premium depending on the number of claim free years you have (the less you’ve claimed, the bigger the discount). That’s not to say, you should never claim, but it’s worth thinking twice before claiming for every tiny scratch or bump.
- Improve security where you can. This could mean parking your camper somewhere safe when it’s at home or investing in security – for instance an alarm or immobiliser.
- Joining a campervan club could mean you get a discount on your premium.
- Don’t overestimate how much your campervan and your belongings are worth as this could inflate your premium. To avoid this, try to be as accurate as you can and check whether or not some items are covered by your home insurance – for example camping equipment, your laptop, tablet or e-reader.
What information do I need to search for campervan insurance?
Searching for campervan cover can be quick and easy. Some of the things insurers need to know include:
- The type of campervan you have and how old it is.
- Whether you’ve had your campervan modified in any way.
- If your campervan has any security devices or a tracker.
- How you use your campervan.
- Whether you or any other named driver has any driving convictions or points on their licence.
It’s important to be as honest as possible and to let your insurer know if anything changes. If you don’t, it could invalidate your policy, which means you might not receive any compensation in the event of a claim.
How to find cheap campervan insurance
When it comes to finding insurance, don’t be tempted by price alone – cheap campervan cover might look like a bargain but if you’re not adequately covered, it could cost you a lot more in the long run.
So, whether you enjoy long trips abroad, take the occasional jaunt to the seaside, or use your campervan to commute – it’s vital that any policy you choose, meets your specific needs.
Before you settle on a policy, it’s wise to make a note of all the features that are important to you – such as personal possessions cover or European (or even worldwide) travel. Taking the time to do this ensures you get the cover you actually need and want.
At Comfort Insurance, we’re proud to offer award-winning cover and service. Plus, as keen motorhome and campervan enthusiasts ourselves, we understand just how important it is to get the insurance you need at a price that’s fair and affordable. Our unrivalled choice of policies is what helps our customers rate our service as ‘Excellent’ on Trustpilot.
*Over 10% of our Aviva Motorhome policyholders paid this amount or less for their annual premium between 1st Jan 19 and 31st Jul 19.
Share this article
We’re a family run business with over 30 years' experience in the provision of specialist motorhome and campervan insurance. With a wealth of awards under our belt, we pride ourselves on providing a friendly and professional service, offering you the most comprehensive cover money can buy - starting from just £220!
We’re a family run business with over 30 years' experience in the provision of specialist motorhome and campervan insurance. With a wealth of awards under our belt, we pride ourselves on providing a friendly and professional service, offering you the most comprehensive cover money can buy - starting from just £200!