map of europe

Motorhome Regulations in Europe

In Europe, breakdown services run a little differently to over here and it’s important to be aware of the differences just in case you find yourself in trouble. Here’s a quick guide to the process in France, Spain, Italy and Portugal.

Safety Equipment

Unlike in the UK, you need to carry a few items with you; a hi-vis jacket is a must if you’re stopped on the side of the road, and you’ll need a small warning triangle to let other road users know you’ve broken down. A ‘GB’ sticker will let other motorists know you’re driving a right-hand-drive vehicle and you’ll need to adjust your lights, too. You can buy from most garages a small set of stickers which allow you to cover up the bits that are likely to dazzle drivers on the other side of the road.

Getting Towed

If your motorhome actually breaks down, you’ll need to be towed. Though local services can be friendly and useful, your best bet is to get a motorhome insurance policy which covers you throughout Europe and will provide you with a courtesy car and a tow home if needs be. Only the top providers will offer this sort of thing and it may cost you extra but is certainly a worthwhile investment.

Important Documents

If stopped it is very important to have with you your passport and motorhome license. Without these, the EU authorities have no proof that you are road legal and, unlike in the UK, they’re not able to simply look you up on a database. Keep your insurance documents with you at all times too, just in case someone requires proof.

Though the bulk of Europe abide by the same regulations, check specifically what is required in the country you’re travelling to and make sure you’re not caught out. EU authorities are very thorough so don’t have your holiday compromised by a stop in a police station!

Share this article