Caravan Image

A Guide to Annual Motorhome Running Costs

Thinking about buying a motorhome? Recently bought one? Either way, there are costs to consider beyond the purchase price.

While the initial purchase price is a major consideration, it’s just as crucial to think about the ongoing costs you’re likely to face as a motorhome owner. As with any large investment, budgeting for financial obligations in both the short and long term is key to ensuring you can comfortably afford them.

Welcome to our guide on the cost of running a motorhome in the UK. Below, we explore the range of costs associated with motorhome ownership that you should consider before and after your purchase.

Motorhome ownership costs at a glance

If you’re looking for a checklist of motorhome running costs, here are the recurring ones for UK motorhome owners:

  • Fuel
  • Motorhome insurance
  • Road tax
  • Breakdown cover
  • MOTs, servicing and repairs
  • Storage
  • Miscellaneous (road charges, tolls, utilities, consumables, pitch fees etc.)

Read on for a deeper dive into your motorhome running costs.

The amount you’ll pay will depend on your circumstances and how you use your motorhome. For example, if you plan on living in a motorhome, your annual running costs are likely to skyrocket with greater use. A smaller motorhome should cost less to run than a bigger one, and so on.


Most motorhomes run on diesel, which is an essential expense. This is likely to be one of the largest costs of running a motorhome if you rack up the miles.

Depending on your motorhome’s size, your driving style and other considerations, European-style motorhomes tend to achieve around 25-35mpg. Larger, American-style RVs typically do less.

Predicting annual fuel costs can be tricky. Factors such as fuel prices, your vehicle’s fuel efficiency and total annual mileage are the most influential. To get an estimate, there are fuel cost calculators online – just enter your motorhome’s estimated annual mileage and other details.

If you’ve got the luxury of choice, picking a motorhome with better fuel efficiency should save you money down the road. Although it could cost you more upfront.

Motorhome insurance

You must have a valid motorhome insurance policy unless your vehicle is declared SORN and kept off public roads. In some cases, a motorhome bought with a finance agreement may still need to be covered, even if it’s offroad.

Three levels of insurance are available: comprehensive, third-party and third-party, fire and theft. Third-party insurance is the legal minimum required in the UK, but we recommend comprehensive policies for enhanced protection for your motorhome. Comprehensive insurance can even work out cheaper in some cases.

Annual motorhome premiums vary depending on key factors such as:

  • Location
  • Drivers insured and their driving histories
  • Vehicle value, size, age and specifications
  • Annual mileage
  • Security features
  • Parking/storage arrangements

Our motorhome insurance quotes start from £220 for the year. They’re comprehensive and competitively priced, and include cover such as unlimited windscreen and glass, £5,000 personal effects and accident recovery.

Road tax

Another annual running cost of a motorhome is road tax. This amount is based on the weight and engine size of your vehicle. Check the government website for the current motorhome road tax rates.

Road tax can be sorted with a one-off payment each year or spread over monthly instalments by direct debit. However, spreading the cost may be slightly more expensive overall.

If you have a classic motorhome built more than 40 years ago, it may be exempt from road tax. You’ll have to apply for historic status with the DVLA to be eligible.

Breakdown cover

Breakdown cover provides extra peace of mind when you’re behind the wheel so you can sit back and enjoy your motorhome adventures. It means you can avoid the often expensive call-out fees involved if you break down and don’t have a policy in place. Many insurers offer breakdown cover as an optional extra to their policies. Our optional extra motorhome breakdown cover is provided by ARAG and starts from £82. It provides emergency roadside and home repairs, EU cover as standard and onward travel or accommodation depending on your needs.

MOTs, servicing and repairs

Once it’s more than three years old, your vehicle must pass an MOT test every year to be deemed roadworthy. Most motorhomes need a Class 4 MOT, which is the same as passenger cars. However, larger vehicles (weighing between 3,000kg-3,500kg) may need to be tested in a specialist facility offering Class 7 MOT tests.

The government sets the maximum cost that MOT test centres can charge but some will do them for cheaper than this. The current maximum cost for a Class 4 MOT test for a vehicle weighing up to 3,000kg is £54.85.

An annual motorhome habitation check is a thorough inspection of the motorhome’s living space and should also be a consideration.

We also recommend staying on top of your motorhome maintenance with regular servicing. This can reduce the risk of breakdowns and avoid more costly repairs down the line. Annual servicing should be enough, but you can do it more frequently if you use your motorhome often. Regular DIY maintenance checks between services can help keep your vehicle in top shape. However, unexpected breakdowns and repairs are often inevitable, particularly with older motorhomes. So, be prepared for these additional motorhome ownership costs at some point.


Do you have somewhere to park your motorhome at home? Leaving it on public roads can be a little risky and you may not feel comfortable doing so, even with state-of-the-art security features. Fortunately, there are dedicated parking and storage facilities available to keep your motorhome safe and secure while it’s not in use. Many providers offer annual, seasonal and temporary arrangements to meet a variety of storage needs.

Keeping your motorhome in a secure storage facility could reduce your insurance premiums in some cases. This is a good way to save money and keep your motorhome safe between trips.

Miscellaneous costs

We’ve covered the more noticeable costs associated with motorhome ownership but don’t forget all the little costs that can accumulate. Driving on certain roads in the UK and EU will incur toll charges. Some regions have clean air and congestion charges that may also cost a fee.

You’ll likely need an energy supply to use your motorhome while away. Electric and water hookups should be included in pitch fees at campsites, but you may need your own gas, water and electricity supply in certain places – if you’re wild camping, for example.

Don’t forget consumables such as toilet chemicals, cleaning supplies and other similar products. They all add up!

Trust Comfort Insurance to cover your motorhome

Is your motorhome your pride and joy? Protecting your investment should be a priority, so come to us for comprehensive cover and a range of other benefits. We have over 35 years’ experience insuring motorhomes and campervans, so you can focus on getting the most out of life on the road.

We’re extremely proud to be rated ‘Excellent’ on Trustpilot and have received thousands of positive reviews from our happy customers. But don’t take our word for it – take a look for yourself! Speak to one of our friendly motorhome insurance experts today on 0208 984 0666 or get a quick and easy quote online. We’ll help you find the best cover for you and your motorhome.

Disclaimer: At the date of publication all information within this article was factually accurate. However, changes in circumstances over time may impact the accuracy of the information.

Share this article

Comfort Insurance

We’re a family run business with over 30 years' experience in the provision of specialist motorhome and campervan insurance. With a wealth of awards under our belt, we pride ourselves on providing a friendly and professional service, offering you the most comprehensive cover money can buy -  starting from just £220!

Comfort Insurance

We’re a family run business with over 30 years' experience in the provision of specialist motorhome and campervan insurance. With a wealth of awards under our belt, we pride ourselves on providing a friendly and professional service, offering you the most comprehensive cover money can buy -  starting from just £200!