Insurance for Self-Build Campervans & Motorhomes
Self or Private Build, Bespoke Conversion, Japanese imports up to 3000cc
When it comes to purchasing a motorhome there are a number of types you can choose from including coach-built motor caravans, American motorhomes, campervans and race trucks. However, for some there is nothing better than creating something truly personal by building their own motorhome.
Self-build motorhomes and campervans are extremely popular among those who have a keen interest in motorhome conversions and mechanics as they can come up with their own designs and layouts for their vehicles. However, there are some criteria that each vehicle needs to meet in order to be classified as a motorhome, which includes:
- At least one bed with a minimum length of 6 feet or 1800mm. This can be converted at night from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle (can be made up from other fixed seats within the vehicle).
- There must be a permanently enclosed fixed means of storage, i.e. wardrobe(s), cupboard(s) or locker(s).
- Permanent fixed water installation to be connected to a fixed water storage tank or container.
- Seating arrangements for diners to sit at a table (table may be detachable but must have permanent means of attachment to the vehicle).
- Sketch showing floor plan of the vehicle's interior.
- Fixed cooking or heating facility powered by gas or electricity (installation must have an engineer's report and or electricity and gas to be certificated, in the event of a claim or audit a certificate must be provided).
- Vehicle to be registered as a Motor caravan with the DVLA and have updated V5c which MUST be available to supply in the event of a claim or Audit.
- A door that provides access to the living accommodation.
- A minimum of one window on each side of the habitation part of the vehicle.
Furthermore, all the features added to the vehicle must be a permanent installation meaning that if any further alterations are made they must be compliant with the above criteria. This is especially important when it comes to motorhome and self build campervan insurance policies as if modifications are made without prior notice your policy could become void.
Converting a Motorhome or Campervan
Here at Comfort Insurance we appreciate that each motorhome owner is looking for something special when it comes to their vehicle, which is why so many choose to modify their motorhomes or invest in a self-build motorhome or campervan. In order to accommodate these owners Comfort Insurance offers comprehensive motorhome insurance that can cover modifications made to your vehicle.
Unfortunately we are no longer able to accept home or privately converted vehicles in course of conversion - we can only accept such vehicles once the conversion is complete.Ensure that you have photographic evidence of the conversion set out below prior to inception as they might be requested as part of an audit trial or in the event of a claim.
Please refer any conversion that you are unsure if the meet our policy requirements.
Vehicles not registered as motorhome / motorcaravan can be considered but are on a case by case basis and will require photographic evidence as outlined below for underwriters to consider in order to make an underwriting decision.
Photographic evidence required as follows:
A minimum of 5 recent photographs consisting of one showing the front and one of the side of the vehicle with the number plates in full view, one showing the rear and the second side of the vehicle, again clearly showing the number plate, one of the interior from front to back of the motorhome, one of the interior from the back to the front of the motorhome and one general photo of the overall interior conversion. Additional photos will be accepted if this help on the underwriting of the risk but the 5 minimum photos must be included in order to be able to consider.
If you are thinking about modifying your motorhome or investing in a self-build motorhome then call us today and see how we can provide you the best cover for your needs!
Motorhome and Campervan Insurance
History of the VW Campervan
View the entire history of the iconic VW Campervan, from its inception in 1947 all the way through to the latest redesign.